Here’s some useful tips for development and QA testing of websites or apps on mobile/tablet devices, if you didn’t already know.
Tip on wireless network login (accounts) when sharing between people
This tip is for those who use a corporate wireless network that has user accounts per person without a common shared account (or guest access to internal resources).
Rather than ask the previous user for their network login password if/when prompted by the (iOS) device, here’s how to resolve that issue of sharing between users. The tip here is specific to iOS but should be similar for Android, Windows Phone, Windows, Mac, etc.
Option 1 – login with your own network login
You only need to do this if ever prompted to login with only a password (or prefilled username) rather than the whole username & password.
- Clear the cached user login info.
- Settings > Wi-Fi > find network (name), tap the wifi network’s settings/properties icon (a blue circled arrow on iOS 6, an “i” circled tooltip on iOS 7).
- Choose Forget this Network
- Find the network (name) again in wifi settings
- Select that network. You’ll now be prompted for the login username & password, and not just a password to cached login
- If you don’t like “your” login cached, then “forget” the network after using the device.
Option 2 – use other available network but then connect to internal network
This method won’t require you to keep swapping user logins when device shared between people. This only works if you have a wireless access for guests (that perhaps only grants access to internet and some internal resources but not all), or some public wireless access but not corporate wireless access.
- Connect to the guest or public wireless network
- Connect to internal network using VPN app on the mobile/tablet/device
- Disconnect VPN when done testing
Tips on remote testing at home or outside local network
When you’re at home or outside the local network, you don’t have access to internal resources. Here’s some options.
Option 1 – device VPN
Use VPN on the device to connect internally.
Option 2 – shared computer VPN
Use VPN on your computer and route network requests from device through a proxy server running on your computer, assuming both computer & device are on same network. This method allows you to share VPN from computer to device.
Tips on remote debugging of mobile, tablet devices
For Mac, search the web for iOS remote debugging for details.
Tips on HAR file capture on mobile/tablet devices
For Chrome mobile (Android)?: https://github.com/cyrus-and/chrome-har-capturer